Stubblefield Visitors Center

1000 Loop 332 | Liberty Hill 


Erected in 1871, this structure of hand-cut native limestone is perhaps the oldest still standing in Liberty Hill. It was built by S.P. Stubblefield (1824-1902), a native of Alabama and veteran of the Mexican War (1846-48), and owned by his family until 1907. The lower floor has housed various stores and businesses, while the upper floor was often used as living quarters. In 1973 the building was bought and restored by sculptor Mel Fowler.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976

The building is was recently updated and restored to its original state, a project the City felt was necessary to undertake. The area includes the building and a garden in the back and will be used for art & culture events, art lessons, an art gallery and space for display of museum-worthy pieces. 

Fowler Conference Room

The second floor is a conference room accommodating 10 guests or less. Contact Katie Amsler for rates and information.

The History of S.P Stubblefield and Stubblefield Building is the application submitted for a historical marker and an article published in 1976 in the Taylor Daily Press, Liberty Hill Preserves Past, gives a bit more history about the City.